httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nicholas Sherlock <n.sherl...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 03:03:17 GMT
Michael Rogers wrote:
> HI!
>
> For the last 6 months I have fiddled around trying to make Apache
> connect to the web or the web connect to Apache.  It does just fine on
> my home network when I type in localhost!  But if I type in
> www.michaelsrogers.com <http://www.michaelsrogers.com> it doesn't work.
>
> The address above is associated with the name server
> somkey.montanavision.net and the Apache is on my home computer.  I am
> running XP Home SP3, and there a router between me, and the web.
>
> Is someone willing to help me figure out what I am doing wrong or not
> doing at all that I should be doing?

There are at least two things that could be going wrong here. The first
is the firewall configuration on your computer. You have to make sure
that the Windows firewall (or whichever firewall software you are using,
if any) allows connections on port 80 from external sources.

If you have a router connected by a network cable (not a USB cable),
then the overwhelming likelihood is that it has to be told which
computer it should send incoming connections on port 80 to (after all,
any computer on the network might be the one which is supposed to be
running a web server, it doesn't know which one is which by default).
This is called "port forwarding". Your router manual or Google will tell
you more, or poke around in the administration panel for it.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock