httpd-users mailing list archives

From Octavian R√Ęsnita <orasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:43:04 GMT
From: "Mohammed obaidan" <blue4603@gmail.com>
> I think when a Windows user want a simple web server
> will go for IIS because it has a GUI. This will affect Apache usage
> share, though not that much but at least will have an impact.

I use Apache under Windows, because I create the programs under Windows then
I put them to run under Linux, and I want to use the same web server.

A GUI for configuring Apache would be nice if it would let me to do
absolutely everything I can do with a text editor.
I would like such a tool for the cases when I forget the name of some
variables or options in cases like those conditions that can be wrote in
httpd.conf for preventing the access to a certain type of files, from a
specific  IP address, when the HTTP headers contain or not contain a certain
text, and so on.

> Regarding the GUI for the modules, I think that every module creator
> can for example implement a simple plugin for my tool, as you said,
> since it will needs lots of time and effort.

I really doubt that they would do that.
And if they won't do that, the users would see that your tool is not able to
understand some parts of the configuration file, so it can't help them.

> Regarding installing a basic Apache on Windows, it is not an easy
> task. It is easy iff you install it from a package like XAMPP.

I have never installed Apache under Windows that way. I have always
installed from the .msi installer and it always was very easy.

> I think such a tool will contribute a lot to Apache since it will ease
> it configuration. I know that most of you are thinking that this tool
> for Windows users that are so lazy to do it by hand. However I think
> it will help them and people who are switching to Linux like myself.

I think that Apache administrators already know what they need to do in
httpd.conf, and if they know, it is more simple for them to make the
configuration in a text editor than using a GUI.
They could find that GUI useful if it could help them remember the advanced
settings which they don't remember how to do with an editor.
But if they can't do absolutely everything with that tool... it wouldn't be
very useful for them, and for beginners would be very bad because it could
make them think that it is not possible to do what that tool can't do.

Octavian