httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Peterson" <...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Can't figure out where data is being cached
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 00:34:48 GMT
I'm having an odd problem which I've had no luck tracking down. I don't even
know for sure that it's an Apache issue, but I'm hoping somebody here has
seen it before, or has some new ideas.

I'm running in a somewhat complicated development environment. I've got
Ubuntu 8.04 running under VirtualBox on an XP SP3 machine. The Ubuntu
installation includes Apache 2.2.8, PHP 5.2.4. The website under development
operates out of a VirtualBox shared folder. So I'm editing the files on my
XP machine, but they are being served from the Apache installation. Make
sense?

Here's the problem. I can change any HTML or PHP files, and the change is
immediately seen in the browser (either on the XP machine, or the Linux VM).
But CSS files are being cached somewhere. The only way I can see a change is
to change the file name every time I make a change. A big pain, obviously.
The cached CSS pages persist for weeks at least. I haven't found an expiry
time.

What I can't determine is where these pages are actually cached. It happens
across different browsers, and clearing the browser cache doesn't help. I'm
mainly using Firefox, and have the caching disabled using Web Developer. I
don't have any caching mods enabled in Apache2, and can't find any cache
folders on the Ubuntu machine. I don't have any proxies running. Even though
the server and browser are running on the same machine, it looks like data
might be going out on my LAN (disconnecting the network cable breaks the
internal connection between XP and the VM). But my router doesn't seem to
have any caching support, so I don't think that's the problem.

If anybody has any ideas who is caching my CSS files, I'd welcome some input
here.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory