httpd-users mailing list archives

From Glen Barber <glen.j.bar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] nOOb question about patching...
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:52:35 GMT
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Griffith, Michael *
<Michael.Griffith@fda.hhs.gov> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm not clear on this basic issue, and I'm looking for someone to clear it
> up for me. If I have Apache 2.2.6 installed and configured, and I need to
> upgrade to 2.2.9, can I do that with the patch command, or do I need to
> actually download the new binary?  Running on solaris under a zone -- the
> entire apache install is in one directory instead of the usual /etc/ /var
> install.

Generally, when doing version upgrades, it is a Good Idea (tm) to
uninstall the current version, and install the new version (via
source, binary, whatever you wish).

Patching, IMHO, is only really "safe" when adding/removing functionality.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber