httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tomasz Chmielewski <man...@wpkg.org>
Subject [users@httpd] preforked processes don't want to die over time -> memory full
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:37:39 GMT
I have Apache 2.2.3 server, which over time (a couple of days) uses lots
of memory. What uses lots of memory? Apache processes which do not want
to die for some reason.

The server can have only 10-20 active connections to httpd (as reported
by netstat's ESTABLISHED), but in the same time, there can be 80, 100,
120 or more httpd processes (the longer httpd was not restarted, the
more httpd processes will run, till memory and swap are full and
OOM-killer will start to kill processes).

Short term, httpd processes are created and killed (exit), but longer
term, after several hours, I can see that more and more httpd processes
are running.

How can I trace what causes this misbehaviour? Perhaps it's some PHP
code which never exits.
I always used strace to check various malfunctioning, but I think it'd
be an overkill here, and perhaps there is a better way to check what
httpd processes were doing and how long did it take them.

It is prefork with pretty default settings:

MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       8
MinSpareServers    5
MaxSpareServers   20
ServerLimit      256
MaxClients       256
MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
</IfModule>

Apache comes from httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_2.centos.4 package from CentOS 5.2.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org