httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can't Insert Row Into a SQLite DB on server
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 01:14:26 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Akbar wrote:
>> Thank you André, that was pretty gentle. I'll give that information in
>> the future.
>>
>> It's Apache 1.3 that comes with Mac OS X Tiger.
>>
>> I'm not sure how to find out which user started the Apache server. I
>> have a guess that it's the admin account on my computer.
>>
>> In the httpd.conf file, there is an example <Directory><> section that

>> notes that the directory is set up as read only. I haven't seen in any
>> of the Apache docs how to set up write permissions for a folder say
>> for a given user (me in this case). Am i barking up the wrong tree there?
>
> Gently again, I think yes.  I can't think off-hand of anything in the
> Apache configuration that would give read access but not write access to
> a directory.  Except, indirectly, the User and Group directives.
> The permissions referred to probably mean the real permissions in the
> filesystem.
>
> You need to think of it this way : your php script is run by Apache,
> with the same user-id and group(s) as the Apache user. It can read or
> write whatever this Apache user can.
> What you do with the Apache directives within Apache, is controlling who
> can call (or not) your script.  But once it gets called, that's it.

One more tip, before I go to bed :
assuming that Mac OSX is an OS based on Unix/Linux :
The SQL folder probably has a group-id, and may be writeable by users
belonging to that group.
On the other hand, Unix users can belong to more than one group.
You could give the user under which Apache runs, an additional group
that matches the SQL folder group.  Then restart Apache and try again.

Under Unix/Linux, the way to add a group membership to a user is either
one of :
adduser user-id groupname  (some Linux flavors)
or more generally :
usermod -G groupname user-id

like
usermod -G SQLgroup apacheuser