httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robert Steinmetz AIA <...@steinmetznet.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ProxyHTMLURLMap
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:29:06 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> Robert Steinmetz AIA wrote:
>> I have been working on a reverse proxy problem for a while. I have it
>> mostly working but I need to rewrite some URLs to delete one level of
>> directory
>>
>> I think ProxyHTMLURLMap will be able to do it and I have determined
>> that it is doing something on my machine, just not what I want.
>>
>> The proxy is creating URLs in the form
>> "http://hostname/application/file"
>> I need them in the form "http:/hostname/file", where hostname is the
>> VirtualHost of the reverse proxy.
>
> That's the opposite to the 'usual' configuration, and should work
> fine if you just reverse the example rules in the tutorial.
Yep I kind of figuered that out.

>> I think I understand in its simplest form ProxyHTMLURLMAp matches
>> from the beginning left to right,
>> I need it to match for "/application" anywhere in the URL
>
> You could do that with a regexp, but it'll be simpler and run
> faster if you just use two simple string matches, one for
> "/application" and another for "http://server/application".

I've tried lots of different combinations in my case none  of them seem
to affect the output which is form an application on a Windows server
running IIS. One of the goals is to keep the server away form the
Internet via a reverse proxy.

I' think the proper maps would be

ProxyHTMLURLMap   http://applications.mydoamin.com/aplication  /
ProxyHTMPURLMap   /application    /

But that doesn't work, and no matter how I configure the ProxyHTMLURLMap
the error I get is still the same. I think the application is avoiding
the rules somehow.

In any event I've developed a workaround that is ok for now. When I get
a chance I'll study this some more since I don't really understand how
it works just yet and I've gotten myself confused.

--
Robert Steinmetz, AIA
Principal