httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to serve up different content depending on authenticated user
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:44:11 GMT
Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 15:13 +1000, Steve Dalton wrote:
>> I'm running apache 2.2 on Ubuntu and I need to serve up a different
>> directory depending on the user that is authorised with the server.
>> I've check the mailing list and apache docs but haven't found much so
>> far - I may just not have the proper search terms though (I don't know
>> how best to describe it)
>>
>> eg.
>>
>> http://spidie@foo.com -> /var/www/private/spidie
>> http://fred@foo.com -> /var/www/private/fred
>
> How about this:
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /var/www/private/%{REMOTE_USER}/$1

The above assuming that indeed the users are "authorised" (or rather in
this case "authenticated") by the time the rule kicks in.
But since the users can only be authenticated based on some "Auth..."
section with a "Require ..." , where would these rules be ?
Isn't there some chicken-and-egg situation there ?