httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:19:53 GMT
Michael Rogers wrote:
> That why I am asking the questions!  If I know I might be able to make it work.

Well actually, I was asking the question because I already gave you the
answer in a previous post. So make an effort and read it this time :

quote
I) computers work with IP addresses, not with names.  That may surprise
you, but it is so.
When you tell your browser to get "www.google.com" :
- it first looks in its own local "hosts" file to see if there is a
translation for "www.google.com" into an IP address like 1.2.3.4
The local hosts file can be found :
under Unix/Linux, in /etc/hosts
under Windows, in windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
- if the local hosts file does not provide a translation, then your
browser asks "the DNS system".  That is something complicated, but
basically it means that it will need the IP address of another computer
known as a DNS Server, and it will send a message to that IP address,
asking for the IP address of "www.google.com"
- if the browser cannot find finally an IP address for www.google.com
with any of the above, it gives up and tells you so.
unquote

So, when one of your internal workstations is told to access
"http://www.michaelrogers.com", it will do like it is explained above.
And, for the IP address of "www.michaelrogers.com", you want your
internal workstations to obtain the internal IP address 10.0.0.115,
because you don't want them to try some Internet address out there, when
the Apache server is right under their nose at the IP adress 10.0.0.115,
right ?
So you have 2 choices in order to obtain that :
- either you have an internal DNS server, that could respond to the
enquiries of your internal workstations, and give them "10.0.0.115" as
response to the question : what is the IP address of
www.michaelrogers.com" ?
- or, you add a line into each local workstation's "hosts" file like :
10.0.0.115 www.michaelrogers.com

The second one is the easiest to do, if you only have a few internal
workstations.
Try it.