httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nicholas Sherlock <n.sherl...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: mod_headers: Don't add a header if it is already present
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:38:54 GMT
Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> However, some new pages I am now developing are cache-aware, and supply
> their own Cache-Control headers which should not include the "private"
> modifier. Is it possible for mod_headers to not create this header if
> the response (from PHP) already includes a Cache-Control header?

I found one solution. In my cache-aware PHP pages I can use this code:

apache_setenv("Cache_Aware","yes");

Then mod_headers can look for the environment variable:

Header append Cache-Control "private" env=!Cache_Aware

However, this is suboptimal. Once I eventually fix all of my pages to be
properly cache-aware, the mod_header directive which adds 'private' will
no longer be useful, and I'll have a lot of PHP code which needlessly
sets an Apache environment variable. It'd be great if you could easily
check for an existing _response_ header in mod_headers!

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock