httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Why fastcgi is not popular in Apache?
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:10:22 GMT
Although it is not true for mod_php and mod_python, but mod_perl is much
powerful than fastcgi because it offers access to the server API (to all the
phases of a request).
But I guess this is not the main reason mod_perl is prefered, because most
of the developers use the server module only for the response phase anyway.

I think they do it because it is more simple to install it, and because
mod_perl works well under Windows also, while fastcgi is harder to use.

fastcgi also has the advantage that offers the possibility of restarting an
external application without restarting the whole server, but it is harder
to install and I don't even know if it can be used well under Windows.
fcgid is easier to use than fastcgi but it doesn't offer the possibility of
running an external program.

fastcgi and mod_perl work in a similar way, so the speed difference
shouldn't be too big.

Those who use other servers than Apache use fastcgi because those servers
don't offer their own environment for running a program permanently like
Apache does with its modules.
If they'd offer that possibility, many users would also probably use it.

It is too bad that fastcgi can't be installed as easy as the Apache modules,
both under Linux and Windows...

Octavian