httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd.exe -k restart command is closing connections on Windows
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:36:36 GMT
Hi.
Referring to your original post, and to the current one below :

I don't really have the "Apache developer" answer to your questions, but
I believe that you should be a little more precise in your descriptions.
What do you mean (in your first post) by "connections" and (in your last
post) by "operations in progress" ?

I am asking because HTTP is, by design, a connection-less protocol. (Yes
I know about KeepAlive, but nevertheless).

In other words, I would expect Apache, when it restarts (even
gracefully), to drop existing TCP sessions (since basically the only
ones that would exist would be due to KeepAlive TCP sessions), as long
as there is no request still being processed on that connection.
Apache would need to do that, because any open TCP connection would be
held on the server side by a running child (or thread), and to restart
that child/thread, that connection would need to be closed.

But that should not matter.  If a client still has a KeepAlive
connection active, but it is not waiting for any response, it will just
re-establish a new TCP connection when needed (to send another request),
and nothing should be lost.

On the other hand, if by "operations in progress" you mean that there
are requests being processsed and still not answered when you do the
restart, and Apache then drops the being-processed requests in the
middle, then indeed it is not very graceful.