httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Donovan <donov...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Changes to mod_rewrite and mod_proxy 2.2.8 to 2.2.11
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:37:39 GMT
wi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Our site is upgrading from 2.2.8 to 2.2.11, and we're getting some
> unexpected behaviour.
>
> Our current configuration makes heavy use of the [NE] flag. For instance
>
>  RewriteRule ^/(.*) balancer://delta/$1 [P,NE,L]
>
> However, in the upgraded server the [NE] no longer appears to be
> supported. I found the following line in the 2.2.10 changelog:
>
>   *) mod_rewrite: Preserve the query string when [proxy,noescape]. PR 45247.
>      [Tom Donovan]
>
> The problem for us is that some requests we receive have already been
> escaped. Is there a way we can get the old behaviour back?

The fix for PR 45247 shouldn't change how the characters in URIs are escaped.

The query string portion of the URI was being dropped with [NE].  This fix ensures that the

(unescaped) query string is retained in the URI when [NE] is used.

Do you have an example of a URL which is getting escaped with your RewriteRule in 2.2.11,
but was
not escaped in 2.2.8?  Setting the directives 'RewriteLog file-path' and 'RewriteLogLevel
9' should
show how mod_rewrite manipulates your URI.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewritelog

-tom-