httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Authentication IP restriction by user?
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:51:43 GMT
Grant wrote:
> I have 2 users who need to be able to access a website from anywhere
> and 2 users who only need to access it from a certain IP.  Can
> authentication be restricted to a certain IP for certain users, and
> not restricted for others?

Hi.
You can do pretty much what you want with Apache + mod_perl, in terms of
access control and authentication.  With Apache and the standard
(non-perl) Apache modules, I doubt you can do what you indicate above.
Just in case someone else wants to contradict me and follow this up, can
you be a bit more precise about what you want ?

Do you want e.g. :
- any connection from IP 1.2.3.4 will (automatically) be authenticated
as "userA" and be granted access ?
OR
- userA gets access if he not only authenticates with user-id/pw but
*also* is accessing from IP address 1.2.3.4 ?
AND/OR
- accesses from addresses other than 1.2.3.4 must always authenticate
with valid userid/pw ?
etc..

Depending on your precise requirements, there may still exist a devious
combination of "Allow from .." and "Require .." and "Satisfy .." that
may work, maybe.
Or maybe you could set up 2 <VirtualHost> with slightly different AAA
requirements, but accessing the same DocumentRoot ?