httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Lauder <...@cyber-sea.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Unable to access sites on an Apache server from Internet Explorer
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:24:38 GMT
Thanks for the comments.  I'm in the early stages of trying to track
down this problem and its not something I can replicate.

All I know is that when I send out a mass mailing to 20,000
customers, I get on average 2 to 4 people saying the site is down and
when I talk to them it turns out they are all using I.E. browsers,
and when they switch to Firefox it works.   My hosting company
Hosting.com swears its not a server or DNS problem.   My DNS server
is managed by Hosting.com and its not on my Apache server, which is a
dedicated server.

I seem to recall there were web server configuration settings that
could remedy access problems or I.E. specific connection problems,
but its been so long I cant recall where I came across it.

Just hoping if this was a common or known problem I'd get some tips
on where to look if its a server issue.

At 01:16 PM 1/28/2009, you wrote:
>At 01:09 PM 1/28/2009, you wrote:
>
>>A "Page not Found" error is a DNS resolution issue. Since apache
>>does not provide DNS resolution, make sure that DNS servers in
>>place on that machine are reliable, and if possible, disable DNS caching.
>
>Good catch... forgot that. IE of course has some of the worst 'error
>reporting' I've seen. :)

Best regards,
Ian

Cyber Sea Inc.

Cyber Sea APPROVEEMAIL (to ensure your email is approved by our
filters, leave this notice intact).