httpd-users mailing list archives

From Federico Guizzardi...@reflab.it>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache, Zope/Plone, cache question
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:22:33 GMT
Hi All,
i have a question about Apache cache (mod_cache). My virtual host is the
follow:

 <VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName www.anexample.org
  UseCanonicalName On

  <IfModule mod_cache.c>
    CacheDefaultExpire 36000
    CacheEnable mem /
    CacheIgnoreCacheControl On
    CacheIgnoreNoLastMod On
    CacheMaxExpire 7200
    CacheStoreNoStore On
    <IfModule mod_mem_cache.c>
      MCacheSize 524288
      MCacheMaxObjectCount 100000
      MCacheMinObjectSize 1
      MCacheMaxObjectSize 200000
    </IfModule>
  </IfModule>
  <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
    <Proxy balancer://mycluster>
      BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8081 route=8081
      BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8082 route=8082
      BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8083 route=8083
    </Proxy>
    ProxyVia On
    ProxyPass /
balancer://mycluster/VirtualHostBase/http/www.anexample.org:80/unjlc/VirtualHostRoot/
    ProxyPassReverse /
balancer://mycluster/VirtualHostBase/http/www.anexaple.org:80/unjlc/VirtualHostRoot/
  </IfModule>
  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
  ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
</VirtualHost>

On ports 808x there are three zope servers.

In this situation, i supposed that when a public page is called (at second
time, obviously), only apache should works to answer to my request. Looking
with tcpdump i found that the reality is different: in some cases, apache
asks to zope the same page, before the page was expired.
Is it a fault of my configuration or is it the natural way?

After that, i tested with two different browsers (firefox 3 and konqueror)
asking the same page, and i found other thing that not match with my mind:
when i ask the main page of the site with the second browser (thinking the
page was in cache), apache asks to zope the page.
It seems cache works using a different cache for each client. Is it real?

For debug, i tried previous tests without the balancer and/or UseCanonicalName
directives, but nothing changes. I looked apache log too and there's no
error, and all needed modules are loaded correctly.

Thanks for attenction.
Cheers.

dott. Federico Guizzardi
Reflab S.r.l.
Via della Pace n.1, 56021 Cascina (PI), Italy
phone  (+39) 050 754193
fax  (+39) 050 754707