httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL session/key caching on reverse mod_proxy - does Apache (as client) cache the origin server's key?
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:33:19 GMT
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Jeff Ambrosino <jbambrosino@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Apache as a reverse proxy to a back-end (origin) web server,
> handling SSL traffic.  I have SSLSessionCache enabled, which lets the
> Apache server cache the client's public key to prevent the need to
> renegotiate subsequent connections.  But my question is whether this
> also helps when Apache itself is the client to the origin web server?
> In other words, is Apache caching the back-end server's public key to
> prevent the need to handshake SSL to the origin each and every
> request?

You don't cache the servers key, you cache an opaque sesssion ID that
you've previously established. This should not be reused for a long
period of time.

I don't know if mod_proxy_http + SSLProxyEngine re-uses session IDs,
but it's somewhat moot because it uses long-lived connections in a
pool anyway.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com