httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Covener" <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] _default_ vs *, when do they differ?
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:06:18 GMT
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
> On 11.01.09 22:21, Eric Covener wrote:
>> Does anyone have a concrete example where the "_default_" and "*"
>> arguments to NameVirtualHost/VirtualHost behave different from
>> eachother?
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#virtualhost
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/details.html
>
> Should I fake any for you?
>
> the * creates virtualhost bound to any IP address the apache is listening,
> while _default_ creates it only on IP's that do not have other virtual hosts
> configured.

Can you illustrate with a config that changes behavior when you change
_default_ to *?  Whenever there's an exact-match, neither _default_
nor * overlay that, so I don't follow how that results in any
difference

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com