httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Arthur, Simon" <SimonArt...@norwich.gov.uk>
Subject RE: syntax error
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:53:29 GMT
It sounds like (at least) two problems:

1) You may already have another web server, e.g. IIS bound to port 80.

The simplest solution is to stop the competing service, or assign it to another port.

If you can't do this, you have several options, including:
a) Add another IP address to your host PC, and then assign one IP address to each web server

Apache tries to bind to port 80 on all IP addresses by default. To prevent this, tell it which
IP address to use with the listen directive like this:
Listen 192.168.0.1:80
You can use more than one listen directive if you need to bind more than one IP address or
port.

b) Change the port for the competing web service, and then use apache to reverse proxy the
service via a name based virtual host and mod proxy

2) You may have specified a name based virtual host, but not specified ServerName for each
virtual host.

I could be more certain if you posted the httpd.conf file in its entirety.

Hope this helps,
Simon