httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krist van Besien" <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stateful session replication in apache
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:43:39 GMT
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Jai <jayamurug@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I know we can configure session replication in application servers. But is
> it possible to have replication in apache webserver? We have two apache
> servers running on production if one server goes down then users should have
> to point to other server without any error. Is it possible in apache?

Apache doesn't have sessions, so you don't need to replicate sessions.
HTTP is essentially stateless. If you have a simple website all you
need to do is replicated it over X instances of Apache with a
loadbalancer in front of it. If one server goes down the loadbalancer
will not send requests to it, and your user's requests will go to the
other servers.
I your web application has sessions than it is up to that
webapplication to make sure that session information is shared amongst
all servers.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com