httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter Horn <peter.h...@bigpond.com>
Subject Dummy vhost for intruders - comments please
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:13:13 GMT
I don't think this is quite off-topic, just a bit left of centre. :-\
I run a small site with two subdomains of no-ip.org (like dyndns) using
NameVirtualHost. Looking at the access log, a few percent of my traffic
was from bots like Morfeus F***ing Scanner [my censorship], intrusion
attempts (e.g. GET /login_page.php) and just plain old "wrong numbers".
Nothing from what I'd think of as "good" bots (Google, etc.) Initially,
I added a first (i.e. default) vhost to serve a page saying "If you
don't know the URL, I'm not telling you." Then I refined this with the
obvious "Deny from all".
While this is definitely effective, do you consider it
honourable/ethical/sneaky/clever/dumb/whatever? Are there any likely
side-effects?

Season's Greetings to all,

Peter