httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Is it possible to build apache http server as a in-process module?
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2008 05:31:34 GMT
Leo Li wrote:

>    What I want to do is to plugin an in-process http server module in an
> exsiting product to expose its original functionality as web service
> (soap over http). :)  Since the existing product is already an
> executable one so it seems that the only choice is to write an apache
> module to communicate with apache http server and the existing product
> by IPC...
>    I know there are in-process http server in java but I would not like
> to add the burdon of an additional JVM and the cost of JNI calls so I am
> now looking for an in-process http server in native language.

This isn't close to a users@ list question.  There is also a modules-dev
mailing list at the httpd project which discusses the c language sources,
the API and is more in tune with what you are asking.

You would want to look at one of the MPM implementations under server/mpm/
and replace/revise it to run in process.  It's a non-trivial exercise but
certainly is possible.

Bill