httpd-users mailing list archives

From hugh williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Run Apache as Non Root user on port other than 80
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 16:53:08 GMT
Hello;

One other possibility is, if your administrators don't want to manage
your Apache setup, perhaps they can be persuaded to manage their own
Apache, a very simple one (which you could build, configure, and deliver
to them). This additional server instance would do nothing except
forward all requests on to your 9080/alternate-443 instance, either via
mod_proxy or mod_rewrite or plain old 'RedirectMatch permanent'. The
reluctant admins have a fairly static, minimalist web server instance to
deal with (no CGI, no htdocs, and so forth), people can use the
un-port-labeled URLs to get in, and you still get to control all the
rest; Andre's suggestions below would still be applicable.

Good luck with your administrative group!

hugh

André Warnier wrote:
> Vasanth Kumar ravi wrote:
>> So i have changed the Listen port as 9080 and defined Virtual hosts
>> for 9080
>> and 443.
>> I tried to access the application using the url's above, but it failed.
>>
>> Now the question is.
>>
>> How can I access the application using the same url without
>> mentioning the
>> port number on the url.
>> I m not using any firewall here, so I cannot do a port fwd of 80 to
>> 9080.
>>
>> Is there any configuration which can be done at the Apache, so that I
>> can
>> run it as non root user and access the url without ports mentioned in
>> it.
>>
> Hi.
> Apart from the correct answers which other people already gave you,
> going back for a minute to your basic question :
>
> You cannot do the above without having something in-between, for the
> following reason :
>
> When you type a URL like "http://www.myserver.com" in a browser, it is
> *the browser* which adds the ":80" automatically (*), because that is
> the default port for the HTTP protocol.
> Similarly, if you type a URL like "https://www.myserver.com", the
> browser will automatically add ":443", because that is the default
> port for the HTTPS protocol.
>
> So now, the browser tries to connect to the IP address of the host
> "www.myserver.com", on port 80. If on that host, nothing is listening
> on that port, the browser is not able to connect.
>
> Since you cannot "tell" all the browsers that access your site, that
> they should use another default port for HTTP and HTTPS, there is no
> way to change that part.
>
> But note :
> If your application is entirely located on that one server, the fact
> of having to add ":9080" to the hostname concerns only the *first* URL
> link to your site. Once your clients have connected once to
> "http://www.myserver.com:9080" and received the Home page, then as
> long as all the links in your application pages do not contain the
> "http://www.myserver.com:9080" part anymore, the browser will
> automatically continue to access this same host:port.
> (e.g. the links in your Home page are like
> and not like
> )
> This may, or may not, be acceptable to you.  You will have to be a bit
> careful in designing your site, but it can work.

 Hugh Williams                  "More men are killed by overwork than the
 hugh_williams@agilent.com       importance of the world justifies."
 Agilent Technologies                           - Rudyard Kipling
 Santa Rosa 4US-R                             "The Phantom Rickshaw", 1888
 (707)-577-4941