httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] regarding content compression
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:26:45 GMT
Torsten Foertsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to set up compression. One thing puzzles me a bit. Nowadays
> most browsers know how to handle compressed data. So, it seems to me
> that storing that data compressed on disk and send it via sendfile
> would be better than having mod_deflate compress it each time anew. The
> few clients that don't know how to handle it can then be served using
> the INFLATE filter.
>
> Is that a sound approach?

Hi.
I think one issue is the type of header you are going to have to send to
the browser.  You have to send it a "Content-Type" header that indicates
the original content-type before compression (like "text/html"), and
another header (forget what its name is) that indicates that this
content was compressed just for transmission (like gzip or something).
Otherwise the browser will think that the original content is the
compressed file, and propose to save it to disk.
And Apache by itself would look at the compressed file on disk, and
serve it as such, no ?