httpd-users mailing list archives

From prasant...@webdunia.com
Subject [users@httpd] File upload to Apache server (POST)
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:00:31 GMT
Hi All,

First of all, sorry for the long mail.  Gist of the mail is to know how to use the POST method
for Apache server without installing Tomcat or any third party software.

I have a "Server version: Apache/2.0.54" installed in my system.  I have configured it to
act as a server as well as a proxy server; which means the Apache is working fine.

Now I try to do some configuration so that the Apache server will support uploading of files
(i.e. POST method).

For that I created a folder “public” and the configuration in httpd.conf for the same
is as follows:

<Directory "/var/www/html/public">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    <Limit POST GET HEAD DELETE>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
</Directory>

Then “/etc/init.d/httpd restart”.

Then POST command is executed to create a new file “NotExists.txt” in "/var/www/html/public":

User  :$> POST "http://127.0.0.1/public/NotExists.txt"
Reply :$> Please enter content (application/x-www-form-urlencoded) to be POSTed:
User  :$> helloooooooooooooooo
User  :$> Ctrl D
Reply :$> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
          <title>404 Not Found</title>
          </head><body>
          <h1>Not Found</h1>
          <hr>
          <address>Apache/2.0.54 (Fedora) Server at 127.0.0.1 Port 80</address>

[
 “User” is the User Input given by the user.
 “Reply” is the reply printed out on to the terminal.
]

And in case, the POST is done for a file which already exists in the server, the content of
the file is given back (i.e., it behaves as if a GET request is sent!).

Also, would like to know if the DELETE method is supported by Apache.  If so, what should
be the configuration.

Regards,
prasanth.

India's first Indian Language Mailing System,Now in a New Look and Feel.Open your FREE e-mail
account today!!!