httpd-users mailing list archives

From "waf EID" <eid....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] X-CGI- Response Header Filtering
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:08:55 GMT
> I have an httpd server running CGI ..
>>
> Can you be a bit more specific ? What kind of cgi-bin scripts/programs are
> you running ? can they be easily modified ? are you using perl/mod_perl ?

my CGI files are big binary programs and of course I can modify them, but I
can't rewrite them in perl or python so I can't change the httpd child
environment.

> The idea is, presumably your cgi-bin scripts "get" this user-id in order to
> work, yes ?
> Then the cgi-bin script itself could log this user-id, without needing to
> add a header to the HTTP request/response.
> Basically anything you print to STDERR in a cgi-bin, will end up in the
> Apache error log.
> You can also decide to log this in a separate logfile.

My CGI programs gets the user id from a database and it already logs it in
it's own log file.
The STDERR idea is good but I forgot to specify that I want the username in
the access log instead of the error log.

Thanks for your nice ideas.