httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie question about text line endings w/Linux server and Windows Explorer client
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:29:24 GMT
Hi.

1) recommended : install Firefox, and the LiveHttpHeaders plugin for
Firefox.  This allows you to see excactly which HTTP headers the server
is sending to the browser along with your file.
This will tell you what the browser *should* do to display the file.
(Well, not immediately and not as simply, but at least it will help).

2) You are probably being hit by the usual IE symptom of "trying to be
smarter than you and than the HTTP standard".
Normally, a browser is supposed to "believe" what the HTTP server tells
it, regarding the type of the document returned by the server.
In particular, if the server says that this is a "text/plain" type of
document, then the browser should believe this and display it as "plain
text".
However, in their infinite wisdom, MS decided that they could not really
trust these web servers, and MS IE makes its own personal evaluation of
what this document could possibly be.  If it then decides that this is
not a "text/plain" but something else, it will try to display it as that
something else.
One of the criteria IE uses to determine "what this file could really
be, despite what the server tells me it is", is the file extension.
To make it even more fun, it is not even totally consistent between IE
versions.

That's probably the cause of the differences you observe.
Complain to MS, they must be used to it by now.
There are a multitude of articles on the web, and even in the MS
Knowledge Base, which deal with this issue.
Searching Google for "IE +mime +type" will give you a good overview.
Enjoy.