httpd-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Orme <to...@genome.med.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to start as service
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:27:00 GMT
Hello Dewey,

	Well I was able to narrow down my problem and managed to find an "acceptable" workaround.

	It seems that when you map a network drive it is invisible to services regardless of permissions.
This kind of makes sense, as my loose understanding of mapped network drives is that they
are mapped
at the time the user logs in. Since a service doesn't really go through a typical login on
windows, I'm guessing that it just never maps these drives and therefore, trying to access
a drive like "X:"
fails. I should probably reiterate that this could be a completely wrong explanation of it,
and it's really just my "best guess" as to how things work.

	My solution then was to simply reference the folders that I needed through their network
share names in http.conf . For instance if I was originally mapping \\serverA\Files to X:
and referencing X:
in the http.conf, I just replaced my X: reference with \\serverA\Files. This seems to work
just fine, and in my case, is a perfectly reasonable solution to this problem. When I start
up  httpd now, it
works fine as a service in the same way as from the command line.

	I'm not sure if this fixes the issue that your having (you didn't mention if it was due to
mapped network drives) but if it is, hope this helps, and if you need more info just let me
know.

Thanks,
Tim Orme