httpd-users mailing list archives

From Frank Gingras <francois.ging...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] htaccess redirect URL fragment problem with Safari browser
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 20:48:58 GMT
Robert,

Apparently, you didn't listen to my last reply. Let me put into very
simple words:

1) There is a redirection happening from 'www.utexas.edu' to
'utexas.edu', and it's using mod_rewrite.

  - Apache sees that you accessed www.utexas.edu, and tells you no, I'd
rather you use utexas.edu instead. It performs a redirect to utexas.edu.
  - Since, as I stated now 5 times, mod_rewrite cannot capture or
preserve the anchor in the process, the resulting URL will NOT end with
#acc.

2) At this point, we're at http://utexas.edu (without the #acc at the
end, as explained in point 1). It's lost. You can't get it back.

3) If you wanted to jump to the anchor, use
'http://utexas.edu/student/registrar/schedules/092/regrules/all.html#acc'
directly. It'll bypass the mod_rewrite redirection, and work as
expected. I tested it here under OSX 10.4.

There is no 'wishful thinking' in this process, whatsoever.