httpd-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Orme <to...@genome.med.harvard.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache fails to start as service
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:43:16 GMT
Hello,

	I'm running Apache 2.2.10 on Windows 2003 EE. I have a directory aliased to a mapped network
drive. I have setup a user which has permissions to access these drives, and have specified
that the
apache service should be run as that user (By changing the services "Log on" account). However,
when I try and start this service, it fails. From the services MMC I receive an error message
saying
that Windows couldn't start the service due to an error code 1. When I try and start the service
via the command line (httpd -k start) it fails silently. Whats strange is that if I simply
run the
command (httpd) Apache starts fine.

	I've tried several things to pin down what exactly is causing this issue and it seems to
be that the service isn't really trying to run as the user I've specified. If I remove the
directory alias to
the network drive, I am able to start Apache as a service with no issues. I've also found
several articles specifying how to set this up, but none seem to work:

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/windows.html#winsvc

	http://www.everything2.com/e2node/Connecting%2520to%2520a%2520network%2520resource%2520in%2520Apache

	Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,