httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alexandru David Constantinescu <ald...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 502 proxy error
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:36:17 GMT
isha b wrote:
> Thank you all,
>
> I have increased with Keep Alive upto 300 sec as well No KeepAlive
> option buyt the reult is still negative. Still it is throwing the below
> error
>

> *proxy*: *Error reading from remote server returned* by /..."
> proxy: error reading status line from remote server
>

> Further I read in groups that the httpd 2.2.3 might have some bugs which
> is causing the problem. Hence I have upgraded my apache to httpd 2.2.10
> . Now the performance is better but still around 40% of the time its end
> up with proxy error.
>
> my backend server is on ISS and reverse proxy is on Fedora 6 on httpd 2.2.10
>

> Thanks
> Isha
>

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Mehta, Anish <amehta@verisign.com
> <mailto:amehta@verisign.com>> wrote:
>
>     Are you using mod_proxy_ajp and load balancing between backend servers?
>     We used to see this error a lot but when we added timeout parameter to
>     BalancerMember directive if went away.
>
>     You may also want to try this or add the same parameter to ProxyPass
>     directive (timeout=300).
>
>     Regards,
>     AM

I use to have the same problems. My advice is to forget about keepalive
at all. This error said that the reverse proxy is unaccessible for proxy
. If you take a look in the revers proxy error logs , probably you will
see something like "BAD GATEWAY" entries. On the proxy server I use the
same version of apache 2.2.10 with

	ProxyPass        / http://real_server_ip/  disablereuse=On max=1000
ttl=60 timeout=300
And

SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1
SetEnv proxy-initial-not-pooled 1

Disable keepalive on the proxy an real servers too.
With this setings everything seems to be in order for me.Give it a try
and see how it works.

alex