httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krist van Besien" <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] proxying an external server into a website (subdirectory)
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:41:08 GMT
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a devel site and I like to use a translation too called "pootle".
> unfortunately it runs as its own webserver on another port.
>
> I like to know, whether it is possibel to make a proxy or  rewrite  rule
> which let "pootle" run in a subdirectory
>
>    http://localhost:8080/
>
>  -> http://devel.debian.tamay-dogan.net/pootle/
>
> of my website?

This is possible, this is what is called a "reverse proxy" and it
allows one server to appear in the webspace of another.

In your case you could add the following to the webserver config of
devel.debian.tamay-dogan.net

ProxyPass  /pootle/ http://localhost:8080/
ProxyPassReverse /pootle/ http://localhost:8080/

The ProxyPassRevers statement is only needed if pootle generates
redirects. If pootle also generates pages with absolute links you
might have to mangle the html it produces, using mod_proxy_html, but
this is fairly advanced.

More info is available here:

http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

Krist