httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache process PPID=1 in Solaris
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:57:16 GMT
Prathima Dandapani -X (pdandapa - HCL at Cisco) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>           When I start Apache 2.2.10 in Solaris 9 server from the shell,I
> see the PPID of Apache process as 1.
>           Is the PPID 1 means the Apache process is orphaned?
>           Is this behaviour normal?

Yes.
This is not really an "Apache thing", more a general "Unix thing".

Like any well-behaved daemon program, Apache detaches itself from its
parent process (the one who started it, such as your shell process).
This is so that whatever happens to the daemon later (a crash e.g.)
would not influence the process that started it.
If you do "ps -ef" on your system, you will see that many other
processes do the same thing.