httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Pasher <just...@newmediagateway.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Invoking single app for everything in a hierarchy
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:04:50 GMT
Erik Westland wrote:
> Justin et al,
>
> That is promising, but I can't alter any of the request parameters before the filter
has a chance to record them.

> I haven't tried this solution yet, but I believe URL rewriting will change the request
params to reflect the new target. This could work if my filter was run before the URL rewriting,
but I am using an output filter (e.g. PerlOutputFilterHandler). I might be able to split my
handler into input and output handlers, but that approach will likely have consequences of
it's own.

> Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Erik

When you perform an internal rewrite (with the [L] flag), the GET/POST
data is passed along automatically to the destination page. The URL in
the end-user's browser will stay the same, but Apache will execute the
other script (in this case, /cgi-bin/helloworld.cgi). Since I have not
done much programming with Perl in regards to creating web pages, I
can't say exactly which variables will hold everything you need. I know
that GET/POST data is passed via $ENV{'QUERY_STRING'} or STDIN, but if
you want to retrieve variables set by Apache, such as the original
script name or URL, I can't give definitive answers for that. I think
the %ENV hash will hold the rest of the info you need.

Justin Pasher

directory to a single CGI. The catch is that I would like the parameters to remain unchanged;
passed to the single handler.

>> For example, for the following:
>> - /index.html
>> - /foo/fake.cgi
>> - /goo/moo/not-real-either.pl
>> - /another/faker.gif
>>
>> I would like to invoke a single application (e.g. helloworld.cgi), but want to retain
the original request info (e.g. post/get, params, referrer,...).

>> I am trying to test (load/functionality) a custom filter and want to run production
access logs via JMeter. The logs contain a number of applications that I don't have deployed,
I just need something to respond to the request. The filter inspects the request params, but
doesn't care about the content of the response. JMeter will want a 200 return code though.