httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Conditional Blocks based upon Remote IP Address
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:56:15 GMT
Clint Priest wrote:
> Is there any way to have some directives apply only to certain remote ip
> addresses?  I would like to enable a few things only for a certain set
> of IP addresses.

Answer 1 (simple): no.

Answer 2 (FWIW): yes, but not in any stable release.  In the trunk
version of apache, you can use an
<If "... evaluate your expression ...">
block to do that.

Answer 3: (ugly, and more likely to lead to madness than a solution
for most): use mod_rewrite.  This is an esercise in programming,
with a horrible programming language, but you can do it with
RewriteCond as "if" and RewriteRule as "goto".  That leaves you to
manage different URL target spaces with different configurations.

Answer 4: (probably easier than 3) - Write a module, or hack it in
your choice of scripting language.

Answer 5: (another hack, but simpler than 3 if there are just two
cases) - Use Allow/Deny to select IP addresses, and then use a
script or .asis ErrorDocument to return a non-error response when
the request is supposed to be denied.

--
Nick Kew