httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] APACHE questions
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:11:55 GMT
ampo wrote:
> Hello.
>
> My scenario is client "calling" server1 and server1 is "calling", by
> xmlHTTPRequest, to server2.
> server2 has to return xml data to server1 and to the client.
> my general broblem is cross-domain, as server1 and server2 are not in the
> same domain.
>
> Could you, please, clear this for me:
> Is APACHE, configured on server1, as proxy is operating as the client
> calling server1, or its action is when server1 is requesting server2?
> What I need is the second option.
>
> Currently, I have HTML page on server1 and ASP on server2. any other files
> options?

Amir,

something tells me that you might be confused as to what is happening.
Or else your explanation above is even more confusing than it looks.

I may be wrong, but "xmlHTTPrequest" is a term (or a technique) usually
linked to Ajax.  It is a way for a javascript section in an HTML page,
to tell the browser to make a request to a HTTP server, asynchronously
and "in the background".
In other words, it happens between a browser and a server, not between a
server and another server, as you seem to imply above.

Now, it is possible that your browser obtains an html page from server1,
and in that page there is something that makes a xmlHttpRequest to
server2.  And that would be "cross-domain", in some general sense.
But it would be the browser making the call to server2, and not server1
making a call to server2.
It would also have very little to do with Apache.

A different case would be if your browser gets an html page from
server1, and that page contains something that makes a xmlHttpRequest to
server1, but that request to server1 results, at the server1 level, in a
"proxy request" to server2.  That "proxy request" from server1 to
server2 then happens without the direct knowledge of the browser, and it
has probably nothing to do with xmlHttpRequest.
And in that case, since the browser always talks to server1, there would
be no "cross domain" aspect involved.

If your case is not among the two I just outlined, could you try to
re-explain and be a little more explicit, maybe providing a real example ?