httpd-users mailing list archives

From Milos Jakubicek <xja...@fi.muni.cz>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] unicode in basic auth
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:25:58 GMT
Hi,
> This is another idea :
> Are you *sure* that the browser *really* understands what you
> enter/paste in the userid/password fields of its built-in Basic
> authentication dialog, as being UTF-8 ?
> Where is this specified ?

No I'm not -- I'd say it should use what is in my locale(?).
I also didn't find any info on this on the browsers side.

> Are you sure that the Base64 string that the server is receiving, really
> corresponds to the byte sequence of what you entered, in the UTF-8
> encoding ?

Unfortunately it's not so easy, let's see what I'm getting when I send
the following two strings "ěščřžýáíéňďťúůó" "ĚŠČŘŽÝÁÍÉŇĎŤÚŮÓ"
as
username and password (delimited with "-"):

"-a
Y~ЩАМИHeЗoС-`X}щамиGdзnс-"

The number of bytes is the same!:( I even tried to find out what
conversion could produce such scrambled output, but didn't succeed in
finding any. It even doesn't look like if it would cut the first byte
from the utf8 character.

As there are also "normal" chars in the output (a,e,...) I also cannot
try to "repair" the chars on the server.

I still can't believe there is no way how to do this, I mean, there must
be many many people who need this -- or not?

Regards,
Milos