httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rick Jones <rick.jon...@hp.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "support" for end-user source modifications
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:25:43 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:24:00 -0700
> Rick Jones <rick.jones2@hp.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi -
>>
>>After perusing the FAQs I could find I am left with a question with
>>which I hope the folks here can assist.  To what degree might an
>>end-user's source code modifications be "supported" by the Apache
>>maintainers?  Do they have to first submit that source-code
>>modification as a patch and get it approved before it would be
>>"supported?"
>

> What do you mean by "support"?

An exceedingly good question.

Something along the lines of:

http://www.spec.org/osg/policy.html#AppendixC
http://www.spec.org/web2005/docs/1.20/run_rules.html#Philosophy
http://www.spec.org/web2005/docs/1.20/run_rules.html#OpenSourceRules

> If you've made a change that you think might be of general interest
> to the community, then by all means submit it upstream (once you've
> cleared it with whoever controls your intellectual property if it's
> nontrivial).  If it adds more value than bloat, and doesn't break
> things, there's a decent chance it'll get accepted.

I realize I'm asking some rather "dense/obvious" questions but I have
little choice, so please bear with me.

Can I interpret your paragraph to mean that for a change in the code to
be "supported" by the Apache team it needs to be submitted upstream and
accepted?

> Or maybe your changes can be made into a module, in which case you
> can do what you like with it: sell it, give it away, or offer to
> contribute it upstream to be supported by the Apache team.
> The public API comes with a stability promise: if your module works
> with 2.2.current, it will work with all 2.2.future versions.

I don't think that case is one of interest. I'm interested in changes to
the core source(s) and not adding a module.

thanks,

rick jones