httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] initgroups() failure
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 12:41:14 GMT
Eric Covener said the following on 10/08/2008 10:43 PM:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Arvind Shenoy <ashenoy2985@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I recently installed httpd-2.2.9 (with LDAP and SSL) on my Mac OS X 10.5.4
>> box. Everything went very smoothly except for one thing; Apache keeps
>> shutting down due to the following initgroups failures:
>> [Wed Sep 24 19:02:11 2008] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: initgroups:
>> unable to set groups for User <user> and Group <gid>
>> and
>> [Wed Oct 08 15:00:48 2008] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups: unable
>> to set groups for User <user> and Group <gid>
>
> trivia that may help, I've seen initgroups() crash when LDAP is used
> on linux from nsswitch.conf and Apache is linked with some other LDAP.
>
> Does initgroups have anything interesting in the manual your system
> for those errno values?

The man page for initgroups on Mac OS X says only:  The initgroups()
function returns -1 if it was not invoked by the superuser.  But
looking at the code, there are other possible causes.

Arvind, have you checked the console for any messages that Mac OS X
might have logged at the time of the problem?  If directory services
is having problems, it might log them there.
(/Applications/Utilities/Console.app).