httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] I18N, HTTP 2.0 ?
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2008 08:33:27 GMT

On 18 Oct 2008, at 20:22, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Comments inline; You painted this situation today with an overly
> broad brush,
> there are some remaining issues but they are much narrower than you
> identify
> below...

You seem to have summed up the issues.  Just to expand with a
practical point.

> So what does the HTML spec have to say?  The <FORM > submission
> element
> does include the accept-charset attribute, perhaps that is what you
> are
> looking for?  Otherwise, if the user agents don't observe RFC 2388
> then
> you should really take that up with the user agent vendors.

This became a (relatively) frequent complaint with mod_proxy_html
2.x, and
one of the motivations behind the updates in 3.0.

The issue: libxml2 uses utf-8 internally.  When presented with a
different charset,
mod_proxy_html has to convert (or setup the parser to convert
internally), and
mod_proxy_html 2.x always generates output as utf-8.

The complaint was that when this happens to a page containing a <form>,
it would cause browsers to submit the form data as utf-8, which in turn
screwed up some peoples applications.  It's not a problem I've had
myself,
but a few users made the case coherently, so I felt compelled to fix
it by
enabling the user to specify an output charset of choice.

So as you say, there is an issue, but I think this is indeed the
extent of it.

--
Nick Kew