httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Covener" <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] unicode in basic auth
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:44:47 GMT
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Milos Jakubicek <xjakub@fi.muni.cz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've maybe a very simple problem (I can't understand I didn't find a
> solution anywhere, so it must be really simple:) -- I need to use unicode
> characters (encoded in utf8) in basic auth username/password field.
>
> I don't understand why it doesn't work now, I thought that there shouldn't
> be no problem: the utf8 string is encoded into base64 (i.e. plain ASCII) on
> client side and then back into utf8 on the server (which has locale
> en_US.utf8). But it doesn't work, characters with Czech diacritics are on
> the server side totally broken.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

It likely needs to match the _bytes_ that are stored in whichever
AuthBasicProvider you're using -- Apache doesn't look at your username
with utf-8 encoded character and match it to some other representation
of the "same" characters.

There is no real facility where the browser can communicate the
codepage of the bytes it sent in the authorization header,
mod_authnz_ldap tries to guess based on the Accept-Language header.
mod_authnz_ldap is a little unique in that it knows what to convert
_to_ because the spec says things are stored in UTF-8.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com