httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Prathima Dandapani -X \(pdandapa - HCL at Cisco\)" <pdand...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache process PPID=1 in Solaris
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:00:09 GMT
 Andre,

      Thanks for your information.I don’t see this behaviour in Apache
1.3.34.
      Is this behaviour new in Apache 2.X?

Thanks ans Regards,
Prathima.

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 1:27 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache process PPID=1 in Solaris

Prathima Dandapani -X (pdandapa - HCL at Cisco) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>           When I start Apache 2.2.10 in Solaris 9 server from the
> shell,I see the PPID of Apache process as 1.
>           Is the PPID 1 means the Apache process is orphaned?
>           Is this behaviour normal?

Yes.
This is not really an "Apache thing", more a general "Unix thing".

Like any well-behaved daemon program, Apache detaches itself from its parent
process (the one who started it, such as your shell process).
This is so that whatever happens to the daemon later (a crash e.g.) would
not influence the process that started it.
If you do "ps -ef" on your system, you will see that many other processes do
the same thing.