httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Force IE to cache
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 22:17:41 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "howard chen" <howachen@gmail.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 6:28 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] Force IE to cache

> Hello,
>
> In the httpd.conf, I have already set all the images files to expire
> +10 years from now, using mod_expire.
>
> Example response:
> =============
> Status=OK - 200
> Date=Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:23:15 GMT
> Server=Apache
> Last-Modified=Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:02:14 GMT
> Accept-Ranges=bytes
> Content-Length=3945
> Cache-Control=max-age=315360000
> Expires=Sun, 30 Sep 2018 16:23:15 GMT
> Keep-Alive=timeout=5, max=100
> Connection=Keep-Alive
> Content-Type=image/gif
>
> I use Firefox to verify the expiry date, using about:cache, also tell
> me the correct value.
>

> Something quite strange, in the access log, there are quite a many of
> 304 Not Modified response. Since I have manually set an expire to 10
> years, so the client should NOT request again  and again (yes, they
> might hit F5, but I don't think there are so many people do the F5
> every day .... 50% of all request).
>
> After checking the log, I found most the 304 response is for client
> IE6/IE7. Any things I have missed?
>
> Thanks.

I asked McCain and Obama... they didnt understand this either... but Bush
said make an X on your PC, and he'll make your problem disappear ;)

Look I dont know... but 304 responses are part of ETAG and Last Modified...
so try this

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
  Header unset Last-Modified
</IfModule>

I think you just want the Cache Control and the Expires...
Etags are probably not a bad thing... if the server file changes, it changes
otherwise its fairly efficient... up to you

My guess ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.