httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ben Spencer <ben.spen...@moody.edu>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] hardware for proxy
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:04:47 GMT
> Ther is no SSL involve what so ever.
> The sites are very active (it is a share hosting environment and this
> is
> the reason why I wanna try the proxy) and beside that we plan to
> expand.
> We have between 50~300 reqs/sec (depend on time of the day) with around
> 10~20 kb/reqs and this is not the busiest server. Probably we need
> something to hold around 5000 reqs/sec like a frontend.

You have a much busier site then we are currently running. I don't have a
clue what our requests/sec are (apart from what server-status provides)
during any given time. The concurrent requests seem to peak out at about 120
split roughly 50/50 between the two major applications (which means about
35-45% are SSL) and the box doesn't have any issues and is (per vmstat --
forgot to mention it is a RHEL VM) 10-15% non-idle (user + sys + io wait =
10-15% usage). Currently, our proxy is performing some DNS lookups (DNS
isn't on the box its self) do to how some of the access restrictions are
done. I would assume that removing those would also lessen CPU usage.

benji