httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Brian Mearns" <mearn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Running Multiple Windows Services on port 8080
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:36:36 GMT
Some ISPs don't block port 80 for residential accounts, either. I'm on
Comcast in the Boston area, and (for now) I've got port 80 free. They
did just start blocking 25, though, so they might be coming for 80
next.

-Brian

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Frank Gingras
<francois.gingras@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jay,
>
> A business Internet account would not have that limitation - you might even
> be able to call your ISP to lift this restriction, provided it does not
> breach your contract agreement, and that you can prove that your server is
> secure.
>
> Frank
>
> jg6789@cox.net wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> We too are limited to port 8080. since our ISP blocks port 80. Have you
>> ever found a work around for this? We currently have to have our domain
>> [sub.domain.com] redirect to 72.x.x.x.:8080 in order for it to work. Now
>> users see the ip address in the browser address bar. not good. not good at
>> all.
>>
>> Apache 2.2.9
>> Linksys Gateway/Router WCG200
>>
>> Jay
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "jwberger" <jwberger28@hotmail.com>
>> To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:55 PM
>> Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Running Multiple Windows Services on port 8080
>>
>>
>>>
>>> They are bound to one interface.  I did see all the info on the Virtual
>>> host
>>> and got it working.  My issue is that since they are different sites, if
>>> I
>>> do maintenance on one site and have to stop the service then all sites
>>> are
>>> down and I cannot have that. This is why I was trying to setup different
>>> services.  Also I am limited to port 8080 because we will be using the
>>> BEA
>>> Weblogic Plug-in to proxy back to our WL servers and we have established
>>> only port 8080 is allowed to come through our firewall to talk to the WL
>>> servers.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>>
>>> Brian Mearns-2 wrote:
>>>>
>>>> You /can/ run multiple sites from different IP addresses on the same
>>>> or different ports, using virtual hosts, which are well documented in
>>>> apache. It basically just allows you to use custom configurations
>>>> depending on which IP address is accessed. So for instance, you could
>>>> have a different DocumentRoot for each ip address, which will quite
>>>> effectively give you different sites.
>>>>
>>>> Do you actually have different network interfaces for each ip address?
>>>> Or do they all map to the same interface? If they're distinct
>>>> interfaces, I don't see any reason you couldn't set up a different
>>>> service for each one, but then again, I have no idea how to do it. If
>>>> they're all just a single network interface, then I'm pretty certain
>>>> it's not possible. This would pretty much defeat the purpose of a
>>>> port, which is to map a specific network connection to a specific
>>>> process.
>>>>
>>>> But it sounds like virtual hosts might be sufficient for what you
>>>> need. You don't actually need different apache services to run
>>>> different sites at the same time.
>>>>
>>>> Hope that helps.
>>>> -Brian
>>>>
>>>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM, jwberger <jwberger28@hotmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> I am novice when it comes to Apache.  I have installed 2.2.9 on a
>>>>> Windows
>>>>> 2003 server and can get it to run fine.  The server has one NIC with
>>>>> three
>>>>> IP addresses bound to it.  In installed Apache as a Windows service and
>>>>> edited the httpd.conf file so that the server listened on port 8080.
 I
>>>>> would like each IP address to run a different site on port 8080 and I
>>>>> would
>>>>> like each site to have its own Windows service so that I can
>>>>> individually
>>>>> shut down a site.  Is this possible?  It seems like if I start just one
>>>>> service I can hit each IP at port 8080 and they all work.  Can you
>>>>> assist
>>>>> me
>>>>> in what I am doing wrong.
>>>>> --
>>>>> View this message in context:
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.nabble.com/Running-Multiple-Windows-Services-on-port-8080-tp19748920p19748920.html
>>>>> Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Users mailing list archive at
>>>>> Nabble.com.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
>>>>> Project.
>>>>> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>>>>  "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
>>>> Project.
>>>> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>>>   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> View this message in context:
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Running-Multiple-Windows-Services-on-port-8080-tp19748920p19749242.html
>>> Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Users mailing list archive at
>>> Nabble.com.
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
>>> Project.
>>> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>>  "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
>> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>  "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>  "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message