httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Brian Mearns" <mearn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Running Multiple Windows Services on port 8080
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:19:11 GMT
I see your issue. To the best of my knowledge, it just isn't possible.
Like I said, a port maps a connection on an interface to a process:
the OS has no way of knowing how to pick a process other than that.
The only possible workaround I can think of would be a bit of a
doozie: you could write your own sockets application to listen to port
8080, extract the destination IP address from the IP packet, and then
forward it along to another process. It actually might not be that
hard: you would set up each instance of apache to listen on a
different port which only needs to be open locally, and then your
multiplexing application could forward it to a specific port.

On the other hand, you might be able to set up a "sandbox" apache
server that listens on a different port, and do all your testing on
that. Then when you're confident any maintenece changes you've made
are correct, copy the changes to your real server, and do a quick
restart. It only takes a few seconds for the apache server to restart:
is that too long to keep all your sites down?

-Brian

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM, jwberger <jwberger28@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> They are bound to one interface.  I did see all the info on the Virtual host
> and got it working.  My issue is that since they are different sites, if I
> do maintenance on one site and have to stop the service then all sites are
> down and I cannot have that. This is why I was trying to setup different
> services.  Also I am limited to port 8080 because we will be using the BEA
> Weblogic Plug-in to proxy back to our WL servers and we have established
> only port 8080 is allowed to come through our firewall to talk to the WL
> servers.
>
> John
>
>
> Brian Mearns-2 wrote:
>>
>> You /can/ run multiple sites from different IP addresses on the same
>> or different ports, using virtual hosts, which are well documented in
>> apache. It basically just allows you to use custom configurations
>> depending on which IP address is accessed. So for instance, you could
>> have a different DocumentRoot for each ip address, which will quite
>> effectively give you different sites.
>>
>> Do you actually have different network interfaces for each ip address?
>> Or do they all map to the same interface? If they're distinct
>> interfaces, I don't see any reason you couldn't set up a different
>> service for each one, but then again, I have no idea how to do it. If
>> they're all just a single network interface, then I'm pretty certain
>> it's not possible. This would pretty much defeat the purpose of a
>> port, which is to map a specific network connection to a specific
>> process.
>>
>> But it sounds like virtual hosts might be sufficient for what you
>> need. You don't actually need different apache services to run
>> different sites at the same time.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>> -Brian
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM, jwberger <jwberger28@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am novice when it comes to Apache.  I have installed 2.2.9 on a Windows
>>> 2003 server and can get it to run fine.  The server has one NIC with
>>> three
>>> IP addresses bound to it.  In installed Apache as a Windows service and
>>> edited the httpd.conf file so that the server listened on port 8080.  I
>>> would like each IP address to run a different site on port 8080 and I
>>> would
>>> like each site to have its own Windows service so that I can individually
>>> shut down a site.  Is this possible?  It seems like if I start just one
>>> service I can hit each IP at port 8080 and they all work.  Can you assist
>>> me
>>> in what I am doing wrong.
>>> --
>>> View this message in context:
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Running-Multiple-Windows-Services-on-port-8080-tp19748920p19748920.html
>>> Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Users mailing list archive at
>>> Nabble.com.
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
>>> Project.
>>> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>>   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>>
>>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
>> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Running-Multiple-Windows-Services-on-port-8080-tp19748920p19749242.html
> Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message