httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject [users@httpd] question on DirectoryIndex "inheritance"
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:34:07 GMT
Hi.

Apache 2.2.x, any platform

Suppose I have this configuration snippet :

<Directory /var/www/site/topdir>
   Options Indexes
   DirectoryIndex index.html welcome.html index.php whatever.html
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/site/topdir/subdir>
   Options ?????
   DirectoryIndex ??????
</Directory>

How do I specify that the list of index documents provided in the
"topdir" is no longer valid in "subdir", and that I would like Apache to
just return its standard self-generated list of files ?

- if in subdir, I specify neither Options nor DirectoryIndex, then these
options are inherited from topdir, which is not what I want.
- if I put in subdir "Options -Indexes", then the list of index
documents is still inherited from topdir; Apache looks for all of them
in sequence, and if neither of these documents is present in subdir
(which is the case), Apache returns "forbidden", which is also not what
I want
- if I put no "Options", but I put a "DirectoryIndex
SomeOtherFile.html", then at each access to "subdir", Apache still looks
for "SomeOtherFile.html", and if it does not find it (which is the
case), generates the index itself.  Which is essentially what I want,
but I find the useless lookup for "SomeOtherFile.html", well, useless..

What I would like is leaving topdir as it is, but in "subdir" stopping
Apache even looking for an index document (since there is none), and
immediately return the list of files.
Is there a way to do that ?
(I did not see a "DirectoryIndex none" as a possibility in the doc)

Thanks in advance