httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Trainor <dan.trai...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Injection of content when using mod_proxy, forward proxy
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:29:25 GMT
Hello -

I've been looking for a way to somehow inject some content - a header,
if  you will - in to any *initial* page that passes through Apache's
mod_proxy.  I say *initial* because I wish to only apply this process to
the "first" page viewed, of a single page - not to subsequent pages
referenced from within that page, such the case of an iframe or other
outside inclusion.

I understand the problems involved with the above scenario as mod_proxy
treats every request the same without prejudice, and so far as the proxy
server is concerned, its just another request like any other.  This is
why I can't pattern match with mod_substitute, because all those
externally referenced pages would be treated the same, and they would

For the above situation, I've found that mod_layout could be pretty cool
(http://tangent.org/362/mod_layout.html).  In fact, it's very cool.  It
allows for the easy injection of content in the header, footer, or other
areas of any web page.  The problem is, though, that it does not seem to
work properly when applied to a Proxy directive ala mod_proxy (I've only
tried using it in a forward proxy, though).

I've also tried doing the same type of thing with Squid, using various
types of Content Adaptation
(http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ContentAdaptation), to no avail.
I suppose that this type of request may be better suited for Squid, but
I've never used mod_proxy before, and thought this would be a really
good exercise in it.  Besides, Apache seems to be far more friendly than
Squid for my tastes.

I also considered Varnish to do the same, however, Varnish does not
provide any forward proxy services.

I guess my question is, does anyone have any first-hand experience
injecting banner-like content in to a returned request when a user is
using the services of mod_proxy in a forward proxy?

As far as background information is concerned, I have a client who runs
a call center, and would like their call accounting statistics injected
as a header to every page that the employees view.  As explained by my
client, this allows the staff to research things in the browser while at
the same time keeping a sharp eye on the calls in queue, call lengths,
resolutions, etc etc.

Thanks!
-dant