httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Mohr <goj...@archive.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_expires setting unwanted Expires on 5XX status codes
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 04:33:06 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

> On 28 Sep 2008, at 23:38, Gordon Mohr wrote:
>
>> Using mod_expires in Apache 2.2.X, I want everything *except* 5XX
>> status code responses (like 503, service unavailable/busy) to have an
>> Expires header added.
>
> That doesn't make sense.  For many response codes, it's just Not
> Applicable.

For our application, the exceptions to long cacheability are rare --
only (usually-transient) server errors (5XXs). Even 3XX and 4XX

>> I don't see a switch to limit mod_expires by response code.
>>
>> It looks like a 'Header unset' conditional on the existence of an
>> environment variable previously set based on response code could work;
>> is there an environment variable set to the about-to-be-returned
>> status code, at the time of late mod_headers action?
>
> You'd have to set the env var after the response was known, too.  That can
> only happen if the response is known early, and that only happens when
> the response is itself generated by server configuration (e.g. a redirect,
> or access denied), or if the response is static and local.
>
> The general-purpose solution is an ErrorDocument.

How can the ErrorDocument prevent mod_expires from setting the default
Expires value on its 503-contents? Or are ErrorDocuments just exempt
from mod_expires action?

- Gordon @ IA