httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Differences between different Apaches in file requests
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:26:53 GMT
Eric Covener wrote:
[...]
> IMO The 403 is returned in a path where errors imply a high likelyhood
> of someone actively trying to fool the server -- I don't think a 403
> is too inappropriate here.

First, no, there was no tomfoolery implicated in copying the file.  Just
take an existing Apache logo image file and copy it from the Unix
command-line.
Or copy the file to the system from a Windows PC using any utility like
FTP or SCP.

On the system, the result of an "ls" of that file looks like this :
-rw-r--r--  1 root     root   2326 2004-11-20 21:16 joaquín.gif

with the locale of that user being
LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-15

Next, nothing personal implied, but what you are saying above is a
singularly mono-cultural point of view. Why would a path composed
entirely of printable characters of the latin iso-8859-1 alphabet imply
a high likelihood of someone trying to fool the server ?

So if I try to allow Apache to serve documents from my home directory
/home/andré/public_html, I should trigger 403 errors ?